Facts and Figures about Autism
What we know about one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders:
- Each individual experiences the diagnosis differently.
- There is no medical cure for autism.
- Autism is the fastest growing developmental disability.
- More kids will be diagnosed this year than pediatric AIDS, diabetes and cancer combined.
- 1 in every 88 children has an autism spectrum disorder (1 in 54 in boys). New estimates suggest that 1 in 50 kids have an autism spectrum disorder now.
- Autism is 4 times more prevalent in boys than girls.
- 1 to 1.5 million people in the United States live with autism.
- Families spend an average of $60,000 each year on autism treatment and therapies.
- Average cost of autism over the lifespan is $3.2 million dollars.
- The National Institute of Health set a funding budget of $30.86 billion dollars in 2012. Autism research received $169 million of this, which totals one-half of a percent (0.55%) of funding.